Claire Klein-Osipov with
Debbie & Isser Rogowski, Martin & Shelley Osipov
Lisa & Gabe Milton
Portraits of two beloved icons, Sholom Aleichem and Theodore Bikel, are woven together in this enchanting documentary. The two men had much in common.Theodore Bikel, the unstoppable performer whose career spanned more than 150 screen roles and countless stage and musical productions,passed away in July. Considered the foremost interpreter of Sholom Aleichem’s work, Bikel had played Tevye the Milkman on stage more than 2,000 times.
The new film “Theodore Bikel: In the Shoes of Sholom Aleichem” combines Bikel’s charismatic storytelling and masterful performances with a broader exploration of Aleichem’s remarkable life and work.
A pioneer of modern Jewish literature, Sholom Aleichem, championed and luxuriated in the Yiddish language, he created dozens of indelible characters. His Tevye the Milkman, Motl the Cantor’s Son, and Menachem Mendl, “shtetl Jews”, for whom humor and pathos were two sides of the same Yiddish coin, remain invaluable windows into pre-war Eastern European Jewish life, real and imagined.
Film provided by The National Center for Jewish Film
- Please note that as a registered non-profit society, anyone over 18 years of age attending one of our screenings is required to be a member of our society for us to retain our non-profit status.
- Please present your VJFC membership at every screening.
Festivals and Awards
- San Francisco Jewish Film Festival, 2014
- Haifa International Film Festival, Israel, 2014
- Orange County Jewish Film Festival, 2014
- Warsaw Jewish Film Festival, Poland, 2014
- Australia Jewish Film Festival, 2014
- Sedona International Film festival, 2014
- Las Vegas Jewish Film Festival, 2015
|Cast||Theodore Bikel, Alan Alda|
|Genre||biography, documentary, music|