CLOSING NIGHT FILM
This 1981 classic film based on Chaim Potok’s 1967 novel of the same name The Chosen does an excellent job of distilling the essence of the book into a Hollywood drama. Robbie Benson is admirably restrained here as an ultra-Orthodox Jew, and Barry Miller is equally convincing as his more liberal friend (who narrates the story). Two iconic Oscar winning actors, Maximilian Schell and Rod Steiger, playing the roles of the boys’ fathers’ lead the cast. Director Jeremy Kagan’s presentation of sons and fathers whose loyalties and interests intersect in 1947 in unexpected ways offers us a fascinating glimpse at friendship and filial devotion in 1947 during a very specific cultural era.
Sponsored by: Judy and Isaac Thau
Hosted Reception after the film in the Wosk Auditorium
- Please note that as a registered non-profit society, anyone over 18 years of age attending one of our screenings is required to be a member of our society for us to retain our non-profit status.
- Please present your VJFC membership at every screening.
Festivals and Awards
- Winner Grand Prize Best Film, director Jeremy Kagan - Montréal World Film Festival
- Winner Best Actor, Rod Steiger - Montréal World Film Festival
- Winner, Prize of the Ecumenical Jury, Jeremy Kagan - Montréal World Film Festival
- Winner NRB Award, Top Ten Films, Jeremy Kagan – National Board of Review, USA
- Winner, Special Jury Prize, Jeremy Kagan – Paris Film Festival
|Cast||Maximilian Schell, Rod Steiger, Robby Benson|