Tel Aviv Al Ha’Esh
Tel Aviv on Fire, this charming irreverent cinematic spin on the Israeli Palestinian conflict follows a fledgling Palestinian soap opera writer tasked with creating plot twists to suit viewers on both sides. Subjected to the competing wishes of a tempestuous French actress and an Israeli checkpoint officer the protagonist walks a fine and often hilarious line.
Sameh Zoabi’s warmhearted look (co- written with Professor Dan Kleinman of Columbia University’s Film School) at a divided land highlights the awful absurdities of conflict. Offering contrary voices on both sides he ultimately presents peace as a natural outgrowth of a shared taste for love stories and “good Arab hummus.”
Tel Aviv on Fire is just serious enough around the edges proving that it is possible to find humor in the midst of the cultural conflict of Israel/Palestine. The film was Luxembourg’s submission to the Academy Awards for Best International Film.
Sponsored by: Art Toft, Leonard Schein and Barbara Small
Additional screening on Saturday, February 29 at 9:15PM
- Please note that as a registered non-profit society, anyone over 18 years of age attending one of our screenings is required to be a member of our society for us to retain our non-profit status.
- Please present your VJFC membership at every screening.
Festivals and Awards
- Winner - Best Screenplay; Awards of the Israeli Film Academy
- Winner - Best Screenplay; Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- Winner - Best in World Cinema; Sarasota Film Festival
- Winner - Best Film; Seattle International Film Festival
- Winner - Best Film; Venice Film Festival
- Winner - Best Actor; Venice Film Festival
|Country||Luxembourg, Belgium, Israel, France|
|Cast||Kais Nashif, Lubna Azabal, Yaniv Biton|
|Language||Arabic, Hebrew w/English subtitles|