Nominated for eight Israeli Academy Awards including Best Film, Shoelaces is a wholly engaging, tender family dramedy about the knotty relationship between an aging, irascible mechanic and the exuberant special-needs son he abandoned. With his ex-wife’s untimely demise, Reuven (Doval’e Glickman aka Shulem Shtisel), in an Israeli Academy Award-winning role) is suddenly thrust into the position of caring for his now-grown son, whom he first considers placing in a group home. The transition is fraught with difficulty for both.
A rare, honest depiction of special-needs characters, told with gentle humour and sensitivity, Shoelaces is the highly personal project of director Jacob Goldwasser, himself, a parent of a special-needs child.
Sponsored by: Margo Fluker and Barry Sanders, Ian and Sandy Penn, Jeremy Horwitz and Yael Rubanenko, Herb and Barbara Silber
- Please note that as a registered non-profit society, anyone over 18 years of age attending one of our screenings is required to be a member of our society for us to retain our non-profit status.
- Please present your VJFC membership at every screening.
Festivals and Awards
- Winner - Audience Choice Award; Berkshire Jewish Film Festival
- Winner - Audience Award; Indianapolis Jewish & Israeli Film Festival
- Winner - Audience Favorite Award; Baltimore Jewish Film Festival
- Winner - Audience Award; Seattle Jewish Film Festival
- Winner - Best Feature Film; Boca Raton Jewish Film Festival
- Winner - Audience Award; Atlanta Jewish Film Festival
- Winner - Audience Award; Boston Israeli Film Festival
- Winner - Best Supporting Actor (Dov Glickman) - 2018 Ophir Awards
- Nominated for 8 Ophir Awards including Best Picture of the Year!
|Cast||Dov Glickman, Nevo Kimchi, Evelin Hagoel, Yafit Asulim|
|Language||Hebrew w/English subtitles|