Matt and Martha Switzer
Bucharest 1959, Five men and one woman, all with important connections in the Communist Party and members of the Jewish community of Bucharest, rob the Romanian National Bank, in what will become one of Europe’s most notorious bank robberies. Based on the true story of a spectacular Bank heist that had the Communist country in an uproar. In post-war Communist Romania it is an unimaginable slap in the face to the iron fisted authorities. In this version of the story, the film uses a darkly comic approach with an all English cast to tell the tale of a very corrupt regime with a policy of eliminating Jews from the ruling party. Starring Academy Award Nominated actress Vera Farmiga, the film swept the Romanian Gopo Film Awards in 2015 with 9 wins, including Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Cinematography, Screenplay, Editing, and Sound.
- Please note that as a registered non-profit society, anyone over 18 attending one of our screenings is required to be a member of our society for us to retain our non-profit status.
- Please present your VJFC membership at every screening.
Festivals and Awards
- Gopo 2015 Winner:
- Best Screenplay
- Best Director
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Costume Design
- Best Original Music Score
- Best Feature Film
- Gopo 2015 Nominee:
- Mark Strong, Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Harry Lloyd, Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Vera Farmiga, Best Actress in a Leading Role
|Country||Romania, USA, Italy, Poland, France|
|Cast||Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong, Harry Lloyd|