42-year old Aldo lives a solitary life as a doctor in Budapest; 16-year old Klara lives reluctantly with her great-aunt, each their family’s sole surviving member the Holocaust. They develop a warm friendship and the joy in both of their lives slowly returns. The Soviet Empire rises to power in Hungary and their pure and loving father-daughter relationship is misunderstood and frowned upon. A lyrical story of the healing power of love in the midst of conflict, loss and trauma, Those Who Remained reveals the healing process of Holocaust survivors through the eyes of a young girl in post-World War II Hungary.
Hungary selected Those Who Remained as their submission to the Oscars
for this year’s Best Foreign Language Film, and was shortlisted for the award.
Sponsored by: Chaim, Aliza and Tova Kornfeld, Dr. Andrea Tuka and Dr. Harry Karlinsky, Arnold and Anita Silber, The Estate of George and Rosie Nelson, Susan Albersheim and Steven Barer in memory of Eugene Albersheim z”l
- Please note that as a registered non-profit society, anyone over 18 years of age attending one of our screenings is required to be a member of our society for us to retain our non-profit status.
- Please present your VJFC membership at every screening.
Festivals and Awards
- Nominee - Best Film; Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival
- Nominee - Best Film; Ameson CineFest - Miskolc International Film Festival
- Nominee - Best Film World Cinema; Busan International Film Festival
- Nominee - Best Film International Panorama; Cairo International Film Festival
|Cast||Károly Hajduk, Abigél Szõke, Mari Nagy|
|Language||Hungarian w/English subtitles|