Based on the international bestseller by Robert Seethaler.
Starring Bruno Ganz (Wings of Desire) as Sigmund Freud.
Seventeen-year-old Franz journeys to Vienna to apprentice at a tobacco shop. There he meets Sigmund Freud (Bruno Ganz), a regular customer, and over time the two very different men form a singular friendship. When Franz falls desperately in love with the music-hall dancer Anezka, he seeks advice from the renowned psychoanalyst, who admits that the female sex is as big a mystery to him as it is to Franz. As political and social conditions in Austria dramatically worsen with the Nazis’ arrival in Vienna, Franz, Freud, and Anezka are swept into the maelstrom of events. Each has a big decision to make: to stay or to flee?
After viewing The Tobaconist watch the recording of the Talk Back Q&A with director Nikolaus Leytner, hosted by our Partner The Manhattan JCC, anytime on YouTube.
Festivals and Awards
- Winner - Third Distinction-Nikolaus Leytner; CineLibri International Book and Movie Festival 2019
- Nominee - Grand Prize for the Best Literary Adaptation-Nikolaus Leytner; CineLibri International Book and Movie Festival 2019
- Winner - CIVIS Europe's Media Prize for Integration; CIVIS Media Prize 2019
- Nominee - Bests Supporting Actress-Regina Fritsch; Austrian Film Award, AT 2019
- Nominee - Bests Supporting Actor-Johannes Krisch; Austrian Film Award, AT 2019
- Nominee - Bests Costume Design; Austrian Film Award, AT 2019
|Cast||Bruno Ganz, Simon Morzé, Johannes Krisch|
|Language||German w/English subtitles|